Saturday, October 4, 2008

Soldier beating

I was looking through Yahoo! news stories as I always do, and I came across this article. It was such an eye-opener because people seem to think racism is gone, but here's solid proof that it isn't. It's not even surprising that it happened in the southern states, where American racism originated and was always strongest.

I can connect to this especially because this soldier was beaten because of his religion, Judaism. First of all, that's politically incorrect. Second, I'm Jewish myself, so I'd go as far as saying that this is really frightening to me, because there are still people in this world that want to discriminate against people just like me. Judaism is a sensitive topic for me because I believe strongly in it, and when I hear anything against it, I get really offended. People don't realize the extent of the hardships the Jews have had to face, and it's amazing how we've pulled through and kept our faith alive.

Although religious conflicts occur every day all over the world, I still think there's hope that one day, people will be able to look past these differences. I'm no hippie but having peace doesn't sound all too bad at the moment. Our world would be in a much better state, overall.

1 comment:

Brian J said...

I think this is very wrong and a sad event to occur in our country. No soldier deserves to be beaten based by their religion, and most should not be beaten at all due to their work for this country.